Source: Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member email
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) has been in close contact with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on the latest resources and developments concerning the virus and pets. PIJAC is sharing their latest resource for our responsible pet care community: COVID-19 Recommendations for Pet Stores, Pet Distributors, and Pet Breeding Facilities.
The recommendations include steps that pet stores, pet distribution facilities, and breeding facilities can take to reduce the risk of SARS-CoV-2 spreading in facilities that house pets. CDC recommends that pet stores, pet distribution facilities, and pet breeding facilities act in accordance with state and local jurisdictional guidance when considering reopening or continuing operations.
- Worldwide, a small number of animals, including pets, have tested positive for SARS-coV-2, the virus that causes COVDI-19, usually after having close contact with people with COVID-19.
- Based on the limited information avaiable to date, the risk of animals spreading SARS-CoV-2 to people is considered to be low.
- CDC does not recommend euthanasia of animals that test positive for SARS-CoV-2.
A summary of the steps that pet stores, pet distribution facilities, and breeding facilities can take to reduce the risk of SARS-CoV-2 spreading in facilities include the following:
- Encourage workers to stay home if they are sick
- Encourage people within the facility to wear cloth face coverings and practice hand hygiene
- Increase the distance between workers, customers, or visitors, and animals within the facility
- Regular cleaning and disinfection of frequently touched surfaces.
- Seek veterinary medical consultation for the establishment of an animal health and disease management plan specific to the facility.
- Monitor all animals in store daily for signs of illness, and immediately separate sick animals. Ensure that ill animals receive appropriate veterinary medical care in a timely manner.
- Take enhanced precautions when introducing new animals or groups of animals to a facility.
The CDC website has additional information about COVID-19 and animals. PIJAC has also collected information and resources on COVID-19 as it pertains to pets, pet owners and the pet care community at pijac.org/covid19.