Pets get more love than some family members and can expect a special gift in more than half of homes this Valentine’s Day, according to Petcube, a pet camera maker. Petcube just released the results of its first annual Valentine’s Day survey.
According to the survey, 84 percent of pet owners said they show more affection to their pet than to their partner and 54 percent plan to buy their pets Valentine’s Day presents. This supports retail data on pets being central to the holiday. Of the $19.7 billion spent on Valentine’s Day gifts in 2016, $681 million went to pets, according to the National Retail Foundation.
This year’s pet love survey also indicated the larger role pets play in relationships:
- 76 percent of people find a romantic partner more attractive if they’re pet friendly
- 9 percent have broken up with a partner over a pet
- 25 percent of people have taken their pet on a date
Petcube’s survey also looked at how pet parents show love to their fur-babies, namely:
- 91 percent of users tell their pets they love them
- Top ways pet parents show their pets love: 96 percent pet them, 96 percent play with them and 91 percent give them treats
- 32 percent of people kiss their pet on the lips
- 73 percent of users show affection via Petcube by talking and playing with pets remotely
Furthermore, the survey also showed that adoption is popular, with 76 percent of respondents having adopted their pets. Petcube actively supports a number of rescue and shelter organizations to increase awareness and adoption of pets in need of a forever home. Through the Petcube App, users can interact and play with real pets, whether their own or with publicly available shelter and rescue pets. There was a total of 4,571 hours of public playtime with shelter pets via the Petcube App in 2016.
In Petcube’s first annual Valentine’s Day survey, 3,771 respondents from around the world shared how they love their pets. It was conducted from January 18, 2017, to January 23, 2017.
In celebration of Valentine’s Day, Petcube is running a limited time promotion on its Petcube Play, now on sale for $179 through February 17th.