The following recall announcement was posted on FDA’s site on November 27 and confirmed by Pet Age with Sunshine Mills, Inc.:
Sunshine Mills, Inc. is issuing a voluntary recall of select products of Evolve Puppy, Sportsman’s Pride Large Breed Puppy and Triumph Chicken and Rice Dog Food due to potentially elevated levels of Vitamin D. Bags affected have a Best Buy Date Code of November 1, 2018 through November 8, 2019. The Best Buy Code can be located on the back of each bag.
- 14 LB Evolve Chicken & Rice Puppy Dry Dog Food Bag UPC: 0-73657-00862-0
- 28 LB Evolve Chicken & Rice Puppy Dry Dog Food Bag UPC: 0-73657-00863-7
- 40 LB Sportsman’s Pride Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food Bag UPC: 0-70155-10566-0
- 40 LB Sportsman’s Pride Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food Bag UPC: 0-70155-10564-0
- 3.5 LB Triumph Chicken & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food Bag UPC: 0-73657-00873-6
- 16 LB Triumph Chicken & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food Bag UPC: 0-73657-00874-3
- 30 LB Triumph Chicken & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food Bag UPC 0-73657-00875-0
Consumers should stop feeding the products listed above. Dogs ingesting elevated levels of Vitamin D may exhibit symptoms such as vomiting, loss of appetite, increased thirst, increased urination, excessive drooling, and weight loss. Vitamin D, when consumed at very high levels can lead to serious health issues in dogs including renal dysfunction. Consumers with dogs who have consumed any of the products listed above and are exhibiting any of these symptoms, should contact their veterinarian.
The above products were distributed in retail stores within the United States as well as some export distributors in Japan, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Israel, Canada and South Korea.
Consumers who have purchased any of the products affected by this recall should dispose of it or return it to the retailer for a full refund.
There are no other Evolve, Sportsman’s Pride or Triumph products affected by this recall.
Consumers may contact Sunshine Mills, Inc. customer service at (800) 705-2111 from 7AM to 4PM Central Time, Monday through Friday, or by email at email@example.com for additional information.